Job Description: Membership Recruitment Coordinator
Morrisville Food Co-op (MoCo)
MoCo’s mission is to open a community-owned market, serving the Lamoille Valley region, committed to the health and well-being of people, emphasizing local and organic products, and supporting a dynamic community, accessible to all.” MoCo is currently approaching 500 pledges, soon to be converted into paid member households, with the goal of at least 1000 paid memberships by the time the store opens. MoCo is currently exploring and evaluating several potential locations for its future store, as well as working on a comprehensive business plan for its operation. Everyone is invited to join us in the work to make this store a reality!
The Morrisville Food Co-op (MoCo) is hiring a Membership Recruitment Coordinator (MRC) who will move the coop towards its goal of opening a member-owned grocery store in Morrisville. The MRC will lead efforts to recruit members and raise member equity funds during this critical stage in the coop’s growth. This position is ideal for someone whose experience essentially combines community organizing (engage and educate others around a mission) and coordinating volunteers.
The Membership Recruitment Coordinator is a part-time, paid position at 20 hours per week. Schedule must be flexible including some daytime/evening/weekend availability. Approximate start date is late March 2014.
Develop an innovative plan for member recruitment that combines a wide range of approaches (such as outreach at events, presentations to civic groups, social media campaigns, etc.)
- Lead the Membership Committee in enacting a membership recruitment plan, meeting expected timelines and reaching measurable membership targets
- Increase visibility of MoCo within key geographic areas
- Cultivate relationships and establish partnerships with local businesses, organizations, and civic groups
- Address concerns, provide answers, and meet challenges when interacting with prospective members
- Recruit volunteers (existing and new members) and provide orientation and supports for them to assist with membership recruitment
- Maintain databases, including recruitment lists and volunteer lists
- Work with a Member Loan Campaign Task Force to solicit member pledges through Member Loan Investment Opportunities
- Report monthly to the Board of Directors on progress towards membership goals
- Perform other related responsibilities as may be directed by the Board
- Proven track record of relevant experience in project coordination, volunteer engagement, outreach, organizing, fundraising, and development of a member recruitment plan that is goal oriented, creative, and strategic
- Strong grassroots approach to outreach
- Ability to meet heavy and critical goals
- Dynamic written and oral communication skills that will engage diverse audiences in the mission of the coop
- Basic knowledge and understanding of the cooperative model of business
- Experience using major social media tools
- Multitasker, highly organized, great attention to detail
- Bachelors degree preferred
- Anticipated start date is late March/ early April 2014.
- It is essential that the MRC be committed to the effort at least through the end of 2014.
- This position may evolve and expand as the needs of the organization change and grow.
- Submit a current resumé and cover letter to Susan Titterton, Membership Recruitment Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the cover letter, incorporate a writing sample that addresses this question in some detail: “What is it about this position and this work that interests and excites you?”